Our skin barrier helps to keep the outer layers of the skin together, creating a watertight seal from the external environment.
- A healthy skin barrier: skin feels soft and supple.
- A damaged skin barrier: skin may feel dry, rough and easily irritated.
Find out more about the layers of the skin and functions here
What happens when the skin barrier is damaged?
When damaged it causes water loss from the skin and leaves the skin more vulnerable to the external environment, and can cause:
- Very dry skin
Tips on ways to help prevent your skin barrier being damaged:
- Use gentle skincare ingredients – avoid anything harsh or stripping to the skin as these can further irritate the skin barrier
- Don’t overuse skincare products especially scrubs and exfoliants
- Strip back your routine to simple steps (think cleanse, moisturise and SPF in the morning)
- Ask the skincare brand for help if you are unsure on a product to make sure it is right for your skin
- Look for nourishing, hydrating and soothing products
- Avoid essential oils and fragrances, instead opt for fragrance free skincare
- Protect you skin from UV rays
The Lucy Bee Skincare Range
When creating the products, some of the key areas that we focussed on was for the majority of them to be:
- Dermatologically approved for sensitive skin, or to be kind to sensitive skin
- Formulated to hydrate, nourish and improve skin health
- Plant powered, natural skincare
- Ingredients to help naturally improve the skin tone and texture
- Support the skin barrier
Shop the Lucy Bee Range here